The countdown is on for the first event of the New Year, with 6-7 February the allocated first weekend.
Season 2009 was a beauty, but will definitely be outdone as surfers in all three divisions rev-up for yet another set of jousts with the infamous Shoes Reef.
The titles held by Jack Irvin, Reece Moffat and Ben Boylan are on the line. All three will be redhot to retain their crowns, so standby for plenty of herculean-level wave shredding action by them and their opponents.
Here’s the lowdown. Every competitor should read carefully:
- 7am surf check
- First heat in the water by 7.30am
- Four surfers per heat (when possible)
- Four waves per heat per surfer
- A double Whammy (double points) per surfer per heat
- Signal Double Whammy by raising arms above the head prior to the next ride – NO SIGNAL NO DOUBLE POINTS
- Heats 20 minutes long (unless more surfers in the water)
- Best two highest scoring rides counted to decide placings per heat
- Every ride scored out of 10 – Poor (0-1.9); Fair (2-2.9); Average (4-5.-9); Good (6-7.9) and Excellent (8-10)
- Scoring Criteria: a. Commitment and Degree of Difficulty b. Innovative-Progressive Manouevres c. Combo Major Manouevres d. Variety of Manouevres e. Speed, Power and Flow
- Surfer on the inside has right of way – Drop-ins and Interference will result in offending surfer losing highest scoring ride
- Placing points per heat are 6 (winner), 5 (2nd), 4 (3rd), 3 (4th), 2 (5th), 1 (6th)
- One blast of hooter and green flag start the heat. Two blasts of hooter and red flag finish a heat
- ONLY REGISTERED, PAID-UP SURFERS GET TO COMPETE
- Membership Fee is $50 for Seniors and $30 for Juniors and SuperGroms
- Membership Forms and 2010 Contest Calendar will be available at first contest and on website