Shoes is in good hands and good shape for the big new season following decisions taken at the Annual General Meeting.
Secretary-Treasurer John Hvass presented the Financial Statement showing that income exceeds outgoings, giving the club a healthy head start on the economic front.
As a result, the meeting unanimously voted to retain Membership fees at the current rates – $50 for Open and $30 for Juniors and SuperGroms. This is the third year in a row that fees have been held constant.
The new season kicks off on 4-5 February. The full Calendar will be up on the website soon.
The major contest rule decision adopted unanimously was that NON COMPETITORS ARE PRECLUDED FROM SURFING IN THE MAIN CONTEST AREA. Surfers who breach this rule will be disqualified from competition and lose all their points. If they repeat the breach they will be disqualified for subsequent events.
The meeting voted to retain the maximum of six waves in every heat for the 2012 Championship season, with a surfer’s best two highest scoring rides determining a surfer’s heat placing.
The Double Whammy score remains, with the onus on competitors to ensure they properly signal their Whammy prior to taking off on the next wave.
Other decisions adopted include:
• Membership forms will be available at the Contest site;
• The membership form needs to be fully completed and lodged (with fees) by every surfer prior to competing in 2012;
• Two events in a month (where applicable) to make-up for contests not held because of poor conditions;
• Age cut-off for Super Groms is 14 and under as at 1 January this year (i.e. you can turn 14 during the year and still qualify); Contest Director can provide special exemptions.
• Age cut-off for Juniors is 18 and under as at 1 January (i.e. you can turn 18 during the year and still qualify);
• Open is 19 years and above;
• Introduction of a Masters Championship Award – to be presented to the surfer aged 40 and over who scores the highest points ranking during the year (but note, not a separate division of competition);
• Introduction of a separate Girls Division if we have four or more competitors;
• Trophies for 2012 will be for Top 6 in the Open; Top 6 in the Juniors; Top 6 in the Super Groms; and Top 4 in the Girls;
• Drop-in/Intereference rule to be strictly enforced. The surfer who drops-in and interferes with the surfer on the inside will lose their highest scoring ride. The surfer dropped-in on receives an extra scoring ride;
• Public Liability coverage has been secured for 2012. Note that this coverage does not include personal accident insurance. Members are urged to have individual accident/injury coverage;
• The preliminary dates for the 2012 season still need to be formally accepted by Sutherland Shire Council. They will be available on the website soon;
• The March dates are 10-11 and 24-25;
• Approval given for the purchase of new equipment;
• Approval given for a new 2012 Hoodie;
• Approval given for the purchase of two new sets of Comp Vests;
• Supervision to be provided in the surf for SuperGroms and Girls when the waves are sizeable and/or rough;
• The following Officers were unanimously voted in for 2012 – President (Sid Cassidy); Secretary-Treasurer (John Hvass); Vice-Presidents (Jack Horner, Macca Maclean and Mark Campbell); Executive Committee (Peter Rackemann, Peter Greig, John Murray, Jarrod Horner, Drew Kelly, Neil Coleman and Sean Murphy);
• Macca Maclean was formally approved as Deputy Contest Director for the 2012 season; and Mark Campbell retains Marketing and Merchandising duties;
• The meeting moved a vote of thanks for all Sponsors who contributed in 2011;
• The meeting moved a vote of thanks for all the hard work of Webmaster and Photographer Leah Maclean and the fabulous Video Productions of Paully;
• The meeting recognized the fantastic performance of the Shoes team in the 2011 King of the Beach Championship;
• Sid Cassidy and John Hvass were formally inducted as Life Members. They join the current list of Life Members – Mick Durante, John Coleman, Reno Gillespie and Frank Latta (deceased);
• Dr John Murray was unanimously accepted as 2012 Patron Sponsor.
Our sponsors back us, we need to back them:
Dr John Murray, Northies, Lipman Construction, Tengirri Surf Charters, WJ Partners, KJN Surfboards, PCC Surfboards, Puresea Surf Shop, STC, Gando Signs, Cronulla Surf Design, Leo Payne the Sausage King and Greg Ferrow Plumbing