A long awaited swell thundered onto the Reef that Rules for the July World Title event.
Solid overhead waves pounded all day to put all surfers under the whip.
Great rides in every heat were interspersed with heavy duty wipe-outs, putting every competitor under the pump.
It was very much like the gives and takes of a WSL tournament in pounding swells at Pipeline. ONLY BETTER!
Some huge waves were ridden on the day, showing just how sharp and fearless Club members are.
The Opens Division saw Benny Cook sneak home from his older brother Matty, followed by Reece Moffat.
The Masters was taken out by reigning champ Brett Daintry, followed by Jonno Bonello, Marty Shipley and Stewart Graham.
And the Juniors saw a hard battle fought out between Jetson Kuch (1), Finlay Moore (2), Tommy Callander (3) and Ryder O’Donnell (4)
The August contest now beckons, with the two dates being 11-12 and 25-26.
But while we wait for this next big showdown, members should keep the following in mind:
- Battle of the Reefs in honour of Peter Townend and the Club’s Patron for Life John Murray is scheduled for Saturday 15 September. Shoes is hosting The Point this year.
- The Shoes team will be made up of members from all key Divisions – Open, Junior, Grommets, Over 40s – male and female.
- Year-end Presentation Gathering will this year be a Big Barbecue at the Shoes Pavilion, scheduled for Saturday 1 December from 12 noon to 2pm.
- New Club Member T-Shirts are in the making and are due for distribution to paid-up members in the coming weeks. Guy Turner and Matty Cook have put the time into getting the new shirts designed and printed.
- A special Battle of the Reefs T-shirt has also been developed by Matty Cook. They are for sale, so let Guy Turner know if you want one or more.
The Shoes Brigade sends their big thanks to the Club’s great and key Sponsors: Karan Murray, PCC Surfboards, Cronulla Real Estate,Triple Bull, Tengirri Surf Charters, Surf Trading Company.
banner image courtesy of Ian Macca McDonald
you can find more shots of the comp here